- Sunday, May 25, 2003
Things happening ...

Memorial Day was originally known as Decoration Day because it was a time set aside to honor the nation's Civil War dead by decorating their graves. It was first widely observed on May 30,1868, to commemorate the sacrifices of Civil War soldiers, by proclamation of General John A. Logan of the Grand Army of the Republic, an organization of former sailors and soldiers. [source: www.historychannel.com]
Today, Memorial Day is celebrated at Arlington National Cemetery with a ceremony which a small American flag is placed on each grave. Also, it is customary for the president or vice-president to give a speech honoring the contributions of the dead and lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. About 5,000 people attend the ceremony annually." WoW. 5,000 people attend the ceremony annually! and it's been going on since 1868 ... [...i'll let you do the math
Rasanya seneng juga kalo ada long wiken kayak gini he he.. it's been a while since we had one of these long weekend. On my part, I was doing what people, regular people like me usually do. Relax, and enjoying the holiday. We went to eat lunch at Max's of Manila Restaurant in Glendale, about 40 mins from here, then went straight to Glendale Galleria mall for some shopping to-do.
*hi hi...it's been a while since this fruitty went shopping :P finally got some jeans one from DKNY and one from J.Lo, and, a nice black-white collar top from Esprit. Gile..bangkruuuut.... ga on-sale lagi ternyata
O well, I think I need to spoil myself once in a while
Ca Bau Kan *hehe telat banget yah gue nontonnya? well, udah dapet dari couple months ago sih, tapi baru sempet nonton hari sabtu kemaren he he he....* And I absolutely without a doubt - recommend this movie to all Indonesian, non-Indonesian, --- or let's just say, EVERYBODY, to avoid missing anybody in other available categories hehehe. I LOVE this movie. Luv it. And after watching this 118 minutes movie, "rasanya" masih terngiang-ngiang diotak, plus ditambah excellent acting casts consist of Ferry Salim, Lola Amaria, Robby Tumewu, Alex Komang, etc...
This is what a called, a job-well-done, two-thumbs-UP for The Team. "Kok bisa ya?" that question pops up in my mind, if I got stunned after watching a very good movie, good storyline. "Kok bisa yah buat pelm kae getu?" Well, why not? I need to see a movie that is also have some moral-teaching behind it, something to tell others, "this is what I intended the movie to deliver .... " And because I've been living away from the country for a while now, my lack of knowledge about its past history, especially in regards of Indonesian cultures blending with Chinese cultures that actually existed before -- this, I've never realize such an existence in Indonesia, in Betawi especially, up until I watch this movie. This is a movie that blends history, both cultural mix, Indonesian - Chinese, that has become a minority nowadays. Lastly, I must say, Nia Danata has done a great job doing this film up to the fullness of her abilities, and it shows. Its technical, historical, and artistic point of views of this film are quite intriguing. Bravo!
Ca Bau Kan -- "the movie is a tale of one woman's journey of finding the truth about her past --- the truth that quite poignant and painful, but yet, ultimately deliberating. Adopted from critically-acclaimed author Remy Sylado's best selling novel of the same title, the story revolves around an Indonesian woman's discovery that her mother was a native Ca Bau Kan ('woman' in Hakka Chinese) and her father a Chinese trader. Her parents' love story - unfolding against the turbulent backdrop of the Dutch and Japanese colonization of Indonesia - forms the heart of the film."
It teaches us to appreciate our pasts, regardless of its circumstances. To appreciate our parents, with all the decisions that they've made in the past.
To appreciate the present, with a proud dignity that we've been blessed from above.
Finishing touch
I'll close with this one song, from the Original Soundtrack of Ca Bau Kan, written by Andy Rianto & Sekar Ayu Asmara.
*Liriknya passssss bangethh sama pesen yg mo disampaikan :) TOBB dah....salute to both of them :) *
"Waktu kan menjawab" by Warna
Usahlah bertanya
Aku memang sayang
Hanyalah namamu
Terpatri di hatiku
Janganlah gelisah
Aku sungguh cinta
Hanya disampingmu
Ingin kubersama kasih
Hingga langit memudar
Pucak tak lagi berawan
Hingga akhir dunia
Reff:
Biarkan hari berselang malam
Seribu gelap berganti terang
Waktu kan menjawab
Hanya dirimu satu cintaku
Mengapakah harus bertanya dalamnya cintaku?
ohh tak aku punya jawaban
hanyalah waktu kan menjawab semua
All Rights Reserved ® Shenny 2003-2004


